Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Why do people write?

They do it to remember the number to Pizza Hut, and what to get after paper towels. They do it to sing, to play, to remember. I think that writing is something that connects us all to one another. Whether it is a 2 year old's scribble, or a 70 year old's will. We all do it. We all write.

I write in Microsoft Office, I write in notebooks, and art pads.I write in piano chords, and in bitterness. It lets everything I feel, everything I worry about go somewhere where I can't reach, even if I want to. Mostly, the things I write, I also sing, and cry about. That's what hit me today.

I am an emotional writer.


How sad am I? To sit and sulk and write line after line of angry, hurt, happy, amazing, indifferent emotions on a piece of college ruled, and that's okay?! I think, that I think so. Sometimes, I write for hours, and erase everything out of guilt, and sometimes, I save that file to my desktop, so that in a few days or weeks, I can remember what I felt, and how much progress I have made since that day...

Today, I am writing to get my mind off of things that don't deserve my mind. A wise, very wise woman wrote to me this week, and she typed the most influential words I have ever read.

"..every time we try to change to be the person that everyone likes, it knocks out our individuality."

That is why I'm writing, because it's what I do, regardless of motive, it's who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment